Check it out. The San Diego Asian Film Foundation is launching a campaign called “Reel in the Vote” designed to get Asian Pacific American Islander Americans to participate in the democratic process by registering and voting. The 30 second PSA competition is open to the public, and the big prize is $1000 and a sony HDV Camera.
From the SDAFF:
Asian Film Foundation to encourage more Asian Pacific Islander
Americans (APIAs) to participate in the democratic process during this
crucial election year. Through the power of grassroots media and the
sheer number of attendees at our annual film festival, we believe REEL
IN THE VOTE can make a difference through the following components:
- A national PSA contest
- Commissioning short documentaries relating to our campaign that
will screen during a free program at the film festival, followed by a
- Hosting a voter registration drive during our festival, October 9-16
Independent Voter Project, Zero Divide, Hom Family Foundation, and
Epsilon Systems Solutions.
Every vote counts! Sadly, statistics show Asian Pacific Islander
Americans have the lowest rates of voter participation among all ethnic
groups, and Asian American women have the lowest rates of voter
participation among all groups, with less than one quarter of eligible
voters actually registering to vote. While there may be many cultural
reasons behind the dismal numbers, APATHY is our worst enemy.
the most valuable rights you will ever have. The freedom to choose the
direction of a nation is a powerful and liberating force. We need to
start talking about voter participation in the APIA community,
challenge ourselves to become civically engaged, empower ourselves with
knowledge of the candidates, and ultimately, have a voice in where we
believe this country should be headed.
If you have access to a video camera and a great idea, here’s your
chance to take action in 30 seconds! The San Diego Asian Film
Foundation is challenging YOU to submit a 30-second public service
announcement that promotes civic responsibility and democratic
participation in the electoral and public policy processes. In other
words, your PSA should help encourage voter registration and
participation in the APIA community. Be creative!
We will choose a winner to receive $1000 and a Sony HDF-FX1 HDV
Camcorder (worth $3700), plus bragging rights – the winning PSA will be
screened before all film programs at the film festival.
Entries must be postmarked by July 31, and no more than 30 seconds in length.
Click here for contest rules and application.
Inspired to take action? There are many ways you can REEL IN THE VOTE this year. Here’s a checklist:
- Make sure you’re registered to vote. You can register online here.
- If you have access to a video camera, enter a PSA into competition. Click here for rules and application.
- Mention this campaign on your blog, or send the link to this page to anyone you think should know
- Volunteer at our voter registration drive in October
- Get educated about APIA issues and do your own outreach using this handy organizing tool guide.
- Come out to watch our REEL IN THE VOTE program at the film festival and bring your family and friends!
For more information about voting, civil rights, and Asian American issues, here are some important websites and resources:
* Note: Some of these links are partisan and they do not necessarily represent the political views of the SDAFF.
- CALIFORNIA INDEPENDENT VOTER PROJECT, caivp.org
A nonpartisan, nonpolitical organization, dedicated to better informing
voters on important public policy issues, and to encourage non-partisan
voters to participate in the electoral process.
- ASIAN AMERICAN LEGAL DEFENSE FUND, aaldef.org
Founded in 1974, AALDEF is a national organization that protects and
promotes the civil rights of Asian Americans. By combining litigation,
advocacy, education, and organizing, AALDEF works with Asian American
communities across the country to secure human rights for all.
- APA FOR PROGRESS, apaforprogress.org
A grassroots, online national network of Asian Pacific Americans for progressive action.
- APIA VOTE, apiavote.org
A nonpartisan organization dedicated to getting APIAs out to vote. Find
statistics, voter information, and even online manuals to get you
starts in organizing a voter registration drive.
- ASIAN-NATION, asian-nation.org
A website dedicated to Asian American history, demographics, politics, and issues.
- SD COUNTY REGISTRAR OF VOTERS, sdvote.com
Read up on candidates, check your voter registration status, sign up as
a poll worker, find out where to cast your ballot, and view election
- WEAR YOUR VOTE!, archipelago-inc.com
Here’s a cool website that sells shirts that shows off your pride as an Asian American voter!